- Title - Ultoniae Orientalis Pars Per Gerardum Mercatorem cum Privilegio, otherwise known as the Mercator North East Sheet
- Cartographer - Gerard Mercator.
- Date - 1628 (French Edition)
- Size - 380 mm x 350mm on sheet 578mm x 470mm
- Condition - Original copperplate engraved map. Fine Original Handcolor. In good condition. Overall age-toning. Outer edges of sheet frayed and crisp, not affecting plate. Laid paper. Fold in centre with slight tear at bottom margin not touching plate. Can be reinforced. French text verso. Otherwise good. Nice Example.
Mercator's Large Map of North Eastern Ireland
A finely handcoloured, elegantly engraved map, typical of the attention to detail associated with Gerard Mercator.
Mercator produced 5 maps of Ireland, (1) Ireland (with Connaught facing North) (2) Large Sheet with Northern Half of Ireland (3) Large Sheet with Southern Half of Ireland (4) North Eastern Ireland, Antrim & Down (5) The Udrone Map. (Carlow).
This map shows the North Eastern part of Ireland with Lough Neagh and Belfast at the top, and running down the eastern seaboard by Carlingford and Dundalk as far as Drogheda. Great detail for a map that is nearly 400 years old.
When Jodocus Hondius acquired the copperplates of the Mercator atlas and decided to re-issue them in 1606, he used this map from the Mercator plates for inclusion in his Atlas sive Cosmographicae......
Gerard Mercator (1512-1594) was one of the most famous geographers of his time noted for his attention to scientific detail and precision.
A lovely map with wonderful colouring.
Reference: Bonar Law :Pg20, Me28A(4)
Item ID: 15247-61
: €545.00 (€562.17 Inc. VAT)